A Brief Aside

(This was pulled out of the forthcoming Dr. Wave posts since they were too long already -- even by the lengthy standards of the previous posts -- and seemed a bit out of place.)


One of the most interesting things about writing this blog, after only a few days, has been how much I've learned so far.

This should be very obvious to me by now, because several times in my life I've had the experience that when you try to teach or explain something to someone -- if this rather slipshod and guesswork-y enterprise can be considered at all didactic rather than purely nerding out -- you tend to learn a lot in the process. But for some reason each time this occurs it's a revelation to me.

Going into this I had merely intended to more or less transcribe my personal notes on the OP-1. (Yes, for some reason I felt the need to take notes while learning how to use this thing, to document speculations and thoughts and problems. It's just a really interesting piece of equipment like that -- it sucks you in.)

However, as I read through the notes I keep discovering huge gaps in a knowledge base that is by now several weeks out of date; so I sit with this wonderful machine next to me as I write this, to double-check my findings and solve any open questions immediately.

The sheer fun of this little unit is probably one of the reasons why I find myself compelled to hurriedly type this out, rather than sticking with my initial plan of slowly working through the synth engines over several weeks -- it's just too enjoyable to stop now!

Once again I must offer my most heartfelt congratulations to the TE team for conceiving of and crafting such a truly different, interesting, and appealing musical instrument.

My only concern is that at this rate, I'll be finished with the synths in a matter of days, and will then have to turn to the rest of the OP-1. Not that there's anything wrong with the samplers, FX, and sequencers; they just seem much more straightforward and less in need of explanation/discussion/investigation. Plus I have relatively less experience with the non-synth side of things... I might need some outside help to make up for my ignorance!